Re: printer install on network

akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 04:32:29PM -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>
>>Christian Langer wrote:
>>
>>>Am tring to connect to a network printer HP 8150n with cups on KDE. I
>>>have the IP address, however the only indication of port number I have
>>>is lib2. I have set the connection to TCP/IP but no connection. Any
>>>ideas? Thanks
>>>Chris
>>>

>>Did you try setting the connection to "socket://<printer IP>" for a
>>JetDirect connection?
>>
>>Mikkel
>
> You can do that but from the CUPS web interface (localhost:631) it is
> probably easier to define in as an lpd printer. No port is needed,
> just its network address (i.e., myprinter.mydomain) or ip number.

You can set it to a JetDirect printer at the same place. With a lpd
printer, you need the print queue name. I have not finished
downloading the manual, so I don't know all the modes the printer
supports, but the web page says it does support JetDirect. I am not
sure what mode will give you back the best status reports from the
printer...

Mikkel