Re: Bios flashing w/fed4_64

At 16:17 23/01/2006, you wrote:

Thanks for all the replies, but no one answered "Does it actually need
it?" If it does, how can I do it, I only have Fed4 64 installed? Sorry
for the trouble, but this is all new to me and I have learned a great
deal reading this forum; You guys are very helpful.
I would also like to know why bios's need to be flashed. I have 2
Win98 cd's, is there a way to extract the flashing utility withou
installing it? Sorry for such a newbie post, I just want to learn.

Many thanks,

George
OK George, I'll have a bash at explaining further.

I don't know how much you know, so, here goes:-

When the microprocessor in the computer starts up, it has to have some software to run. Because a microprocessor only knows how to execute it's own instructions, it doesn't know how to operate a hard disk drive or anything else. So the first instructions it runs have to be in Read Only Memory (ROM).

Now, as I understand it (somebody correct me if I am wrong about this) these first instructions are part of the BIOS which is the software held in the ROM which is flash re programmable with the appropriate software. Along with everything else it does, the BIOS has to be clever enough to operate the hard disk drive or other boot device and load up the operating system.

The BIOS is just another item of software in the computer. But unlike everything else a unique version of it has to be specially prepared for every model of motherboard because every motherboard is different. And unfortunately, as we all know, the first issue of a software package usually has bugs.

That's why it's best to flash the BIOS if an update is made available.

As for how to do it, you'll have to look at the web site of the motherboard manufacturer, find your model, and read the instructions very carefully.

Hope that explains a little.

Dave Fletcher