Re: Fetchmail socket problem

From: "Anne Wilson" <cannewilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

On Sunday 22 Jan 2006 23:22, jdow wrote:

OK, after reading this it is quite obvious you don't understand how
imap works. Fetchmail is not the right tool for this job, or at least
it will be a royal pita to use.

There is a solution. Now, I'm doing this from my viewpoint in Outlook
Express on an XP machine connected to the Linux machine. With OE the
task is really simple. With other tools YMMV.

That's exactly what I have done on this box, which is the  one I mainly
read from.

What I do is create two accounts in OE. One for each machine. I
create all the IMAP folders on the second machine that already exist
on the first machine. Then I highlight all the contents of each
folder in order and copy them to the corresponding folder on the
second machine. With enough boring folder pair copies it's done and
Bob's your uncle.

Yes, I copied the messages from one folder across in exactly that way.
It works and I can read them both from the second account on this box
and from the temporary server, so I'm happy that dovecot is working.

(I really SHOULD read back to see the original question sometimes.)

My problem now is that I'm not able to pull mail in from my isp.  I
don't run my own mailserver, only imap for the lan.

OK, is your ISP working via pop3 or via imap for your mail?

For pop3 harken back to a prior rock of mine to see what a typical
session would look like. In my case for Earthlink it'd be something
a little different:
===8<---
$ telnet pop.earthlink.net pop3
Trying 209.86.93.201...
Connected to pop.earthlink.net (209.86.93.201).
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK NGPopper vEL_6_10 at earthlink.net ready <17601.1138013724@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
user XXXXXXXXXXXX
+OK
pass XXXXXXXXXXXX
+OK XXXXXXXXXX has 0 messages (0 octets).
quit
+OK
Connection closed by foreign host.
===8<---
The .fetchmailrc in my own directory looks like this at the moment:
===8<--defaults mda "/usr/bin/procmail -d jdow"
#set postmaster "jdow"
set syslog
set postmaster ""
set no bouncemail
set no spambounce
set properties ""
#set daemon 60
#set logfile fetchmail_el.log
poll smtp.earthlink.net with proto POP3
  user 'XXXXXXXX' there with password 'XXXXXXXX'
  is 'xxxx@xxxxxxxxxxxx' here options pass8bits
  smtpaddress '      '
poll smtp.earthlink.net with proto POP3
  user 'YYYYYYYY' there with password 'YYYYYYYY'
  is 'xxxx@xxxxxxxxxxxx' here options pass8bits
  smtpaddress '      '
===8<---
I start the fetchmail as my own user account, XXXXXXXX, with this command:
/usr/bin/fetchmail -d 90 --fetchmailrc /home/XXXXXXXX/.fetchmailrc

Fill in the same information you used to use for the username and password.
Some ISPs may want you to use xxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx type format for the
username. Then you need the password. Sadly, fetchmail does not store this
encrypted.

(I'm heading off to bed now. So I won't be able to follow up for "several
hours".)

{^_^}