Re: midi play through soundcard on KDE

Craig White wrote:
> FC-4 / KDE
>
> sound is ok but midi doesn't happen.
>
> in KDE control center, the test sound is fine, the test midi nothing

yum install timidity++

Use timidity to play MIDI files.

In my experience, MIDI support has been dodgy since the end of ISA sound
cards. Sound card manufacturers have stopped providing hardware MIDI,
preferring to emulate it (when necessary) in software (in practice, that
means the Windows driver). The PCI bus has made that much more
practical.

Besides, MIDI just isn't used that much these days on the desktop
(except to connect digital musical instruments) -- its other main use
was game music and "computer music". MP3, OGG, and similar technology
have replaced the need for MIDI.

In Linux, OSS was not designed to allow user-space modules to provide
MIDI. Alsa, I understand, was, but I've never been able to get it
working smoothly.

http://www.djcj.org/LAU/guide/TiMidity-howto.html may help you get it
"sort-of" working.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "Right lads, we've got 45 minutes to score 37 goals.
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | No problem with that -- the other team just did."