Re: Help with messed up margins in ie6- great in Firefox...

Jim Christiansen wrote Fri, 20 Jan 2006 10:58:26 -0700:

> I know that this may not be the greatest list to ask this question on but I
> know someone here has an answer and our school after all does use Fedora on
> over 100 boxes...

> I've got two students who are putting together a webpage for our community
> radio station at crestonradio.ca.   They did all of the work on our Fedora
> boxes using Firefox and we just discovered that ie6 totally messes up the
> margins among other things.  Things are just beautiful in Firefox...

> Can someone please take a look at this?

IE uses a different CSS box model than modern standards-compliant
browsers, unless it is operating in Standards mode. That page puts it
(and Firefox) in Quirks rendering mode, because it has no doctype to
tell the browser how it should be rendered. Add a Standards mode doctype
to narrow the gap between the broken browser and compliant browsers:
http://www.mozilla.org/docs/web-developer/quirks/doctypes.html

Once they've done that, they need to visit the validator:
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://crestonradio.ca/

While you're at it, let them know they've created a page with poor
accessibility. They're arbitrarily fixing text size tiny in px, which IE
users cannot resize with their browser's text resizer widget to make the
text big enough to read.  See how tiny the page text is compared even to
my browser UI text? http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/SS/jimc1.jpg

Browser makers provide users with a preference adjustment precisely so
that they can optimize to the size that best suits them. They don't
appreciate web artists arbitrarily setting text size in px (as that page
does) without any regard to whatever size they want or need. Pages
should instead respect their visitors' defaults so that users are able
to use the site without fighting through this unnecessary basic
usability/accessibility obstacle. See:
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/designmistakes.html

See also:
http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/auth/accessibility.html
http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/auth/defaultsize.html
http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/auth/Font/font-size-quotes.html

For CSS self help generally, send them to:
http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=FrontPage
--
"Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord."        Psalm 33:12 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/auth/