Re: reboot X as normal user

Aaron O'Hara wrote:
> All,
>
> My home PC doubles as a cheap-man's Home Theatre PC.  I use it to
> playback kids movies and TV on my cheap television.  It also as a 21"
> CRT that's used most of the time.  In order to get the screen to output
> to the television, I replace xorg.conf with one with TV settings and
> restart X with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.  However, sometimes
> Ctrl-Alt-Backspace just leaves me 'hung' and I have to hit Ctrl-Alt-F1
> to login and then type startx.  My babysitters are of limited
> intelligence and I can't train them to do this.
>
> Are there commands I can run that will kill X and then start it up so
> that I can setup an icon on the desktop for my babysitter to click?
>
> --Aaron

One thing you could try is to set up ether a su or sudo command that
runs a batch file that does something like:

run telinit 3
copy the xorg.conf file
run telinit 5

Another thing that may work is to try is change the config file
and run "service dm restart". (I am not sure this works on
Fedora.)

One thing to keep in mind is that doing this will kill the X
secession.

Mikkel