Re: black screen with nVidia ia32 driver and GEForce 6150

On 1/19/06, David Niemi <drn_temp2@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> To resolve an offset screen annoyance I am trying the nVidia driver from
> the nVidia site. Installation goes fine, I made requisite changes to
> xorg.conf but when I boot I get nothing displayed on my LCD Screen.
>
> The monitor (Samsung SyncMaster 192N) is recognized properly and works
> well with the settings Anaconda puts in (I modified to the manufacturer
> specified) at the first listed resolution 1280x1024.
>
> After following the directions of both a couple of websites and the
> nVidia instructions several times I am still getting nothing displayed.
> I am now back to the vesa driver.
>
> When I startx with verbose logging no errors are visible in the
> Xorg.0.log and it ends with:
>         (II) Setting vga for screen 0.
>         (**) NVIDIA(0): Depth 16, (--) framebuffer bpp 16
>         (==) NVIDIA(0): RGB weight 565
>         (==) NVIDIA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
>         (==) NVIDIA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
>         (==) NVIDIA(0): Using HW cursor
>         (==) NVIDIA(0): Video key set to default value of 0x83e
>         (--) NVIDIA(0): Linear framebuffer at 0xD0000000
>         (--) NVIDIA(0): MMIO registers at 0xFB000000
>
> I have a Biostart TForce 6100-939 motherboard with, I believe the 6150
> chipset on board.  Though this particular chipset isn't specified the
> nvidia unified driver appears happy with it other than displaying
> nothing on screen, at least that I can see.
>
> I am still going through the nVidia forums trying to find an answer but
> was wondering if anyone here has a solution to this?

I'm afriad it appears that this graphics chipset is not yet supported
by the nVidia Linux driver:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_18897.html
As a check, the Windows driver supported page lists the 6150
explicitly.  You might be able to get it to work (I don't know how),
but it isn't currently officially supported.  You are probably better
off just going back to the nv driver for now until nVidia adds
support.  Unfortunately, the 6150 is one of the newer and more obscure
chipsets.

As far as your offset screen problem, can you adjust it with the
controls on the LCD display?  Is there an autodetect or reset button?
Can you force the nv driver to drive the display differently?  Is the
display running over VGA or DVI?

Jonathan