Re: Network Configuration hand-holding for ISP's

On 1/19/06, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 08:59 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > Can we distribute a "Connecting Fedora to an ISP" handbook for the
> > ISP's? Because when I call my ISP, the first question they ask is
> > "Which Windows do you have"- they have a flowchart with instructions
> > on connecting Microsoft operating systems to the internet, including
> > which tabs to select and which checkboxes to check.
>
> In recent years I haven't had too much trouble with ISP configurations
> and Linux.  I haven't had one fob me off if I stop them from giving me a
> Windows set up recipe, then ask them just to tell me the phone number,
> username, password, whether I need to preset DNS or proxy addresses, and
> what the mail server addresses are, etc.
>
> > Why can't we create something similar for Fedora? The Network
> > Configuration tool has ALL the same options that the Microsoft one
> > has- just in different places.
>
> I think what's really missing is within Fedora.  Most of what we needed
> was in the network configuration GUI, and I think anybody with five
> minutes to spare can step through it and put the right information in he
> right places, as far as getting a dial-up connection to work.  But the
> set-up routine didn't bother to make a device link for the modem, I had
> to do that by hand (i.e. nothing created /dev/modem, and nothing was
> there to say your modem has been found at /dev/ttyS0).  And all computer
> OSs seem to leave you to figure out how you separately configure your
> web browser proxy, your mail client send and receive server addresses,
> etc.
>
> Trying to make a recipe to set up your dial-up connection is fraught
> with errors.  Just look at the problem with Windows, which only has a
> few versions to contend with.  There isn't an all purpose step 1, step
> 2, step 3 procedure to follow, they're all different.  Through in
> umpteen versions of Linux, BSD, and whatever else, and you've got far
> too many variations to train an ISP lacky to deal with.  The best
> solution is for your computer to make it easy to configure.  And that
> can mean two things:
>
> A guiding routine that steps you through configuring everything that
> needs to be configured.
>
> A set-up GUI where it's dead easy for you to figure out what you have to
> fill in and where (well named gadgets, explanations for the options,
> etc.).  Or the same for configuration text scripts/files (a basic
> template with the bare minimum, and something obvious so you can work
> out what manuals to read for the optional extras).

I don't know how the situation is in the rest of the world, but in
Israel it is rather difficult to connect even a windows machine to
broadband. I can outline the step because I've done it enought times,
but it involves changing deeply-buried settings in "advanced" tabs,
checking and unchecking security parameters for different protocols,
etc. It does _not_ consist of simply plugging in an IP, user name, and
password.

I personally was not able to get Fedora online with the MS
instructions. The interfaces were just too different, and I'm not 100%
positive that there were options in the GUI for what was needed. I had
to switch ISP's until I found an ISP that has a tech that knows about
linux (as a hobby!) and he got me online. (For those in Israel, I'm
now with Actcom- they're great for linux support.)

I will try to get my hands on the MS guide for connecting a windows
machine to the ISP. If I can present it, is there anyone here who can
help me 'translate' it to the Network Connections GUI if I get stuck?
I believe that if we can get a guide like this into the hands of the
ISP's, then we will remove one more barrier that is preventing people
from using Fedora. I know this, because I set up Fedora on a friends'
machine, but after failing to connect to his ISP (012, for those in
Israel) we reinstalled Windows ME. He was not willing to switch ISP's,
and I think that most people would not be willing, either.

Dotan Cohen
http://technology-sleuth.com/
23452