Re: Distributing user-developed Linux software and licensing issues.

> > 3.  Aside from server security, there is the
matter of account password
> > security.  How can I fathom giving away the full
source code and thus giving
> > anyone the ability to network snoop and easily
grab customer
> > account/password data?

> Web servers are open source, and so are some
browsers, they're both
> capable of secure data transmissions.  Being open
source isn't a
> problem.  You've just got to use secure data
transmissions, and that's
> it.

I appreciate the replies from everyone.  You have all
been very helpful! (/wave Markku and Tim)

I'm not a security expert so I'm learning as I go.
What I can't really understand is how a client-side
application can be completely open source and secure
at the same time without giving away its encryption
techniques.  I can't afford for every customer to be
issued a SecureId fob like I used in the workplace and
any secret "key" transmitted over the 'net can simply
be intercepted and used with full knowledge of how the
key works since access to the source code is
available.  My customers aren't locked to using their
account from a specific machine.

Do open source web servers include the full source to
their encryption routines?  What about SSL?  Is the
source to SSL open to the public?

Thanks again for the responses.

Kirk Black