RE: 'GPL encumbrance problems' (jdow)

> > Does your application work without the GPL library? No? So your
> > application _needs_ someone else his copyrighted work to
> function. So
> > you _need_ the work someone else did to make money? And you _demand_
> > that it comes for free and gratis! If you don't like the
> GPL license of
> > the library, rewrite it, nothing stops you from doing that.

The direction this discussion is going seems to be that if code
makes use of a shared library (.so) directly or indiretly which
is GPL'ed and that code is to be distributed, it has to be GPL'ed.
A quick check of my FC4 box shows 654 .so files in /usr/lib. (not
counting soft links.)  Is there a list showing which of these are
LGPL and which are GPL?

I seem to remember that libc.so is LGPL, so that takes care of
the "hello world" program.