Re: 'GPL encumbrance problems' (jdow)

On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 15:20 +0100, Erwin Rol wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 07:49 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:

[snip]

> > And you'll know they are zealots when they make the claim (which
> > they officially do...) that you are violating their copyright if
> > you distribute an executable that might link to a GPL'd library
> > even if you don't include *any* GPL'd code in your distribution.
>
> Does your application work without the GPL library? No? So your
> application _needs_ someone else his copyrighted work to function. So
> you _need_ the work someone else did to make money? And you _demand_
> that it comes for free and gratis! If you don't like the GPL license of
> the library, rewrite it, nothing stops you from doing that.

What I understand Les said is if someone writes an application that runs
on Linux as well as on other OS's compatible with Linux that, if a user
of that application runs it with a GPL'd library, he/she must GPL that
application? What sheer zealotry! Those who work earn their living.
Those who don't live off those who do. Which one are you?

> > (An exception exists if you can prove that there are compatible
> > non-GPL'd libraries - which is pretty bizarre, since that in
> > no way affects what is being copied in your distribution or
> > how they might claim ownership of it).
>
> It all comes down to; i want your work gratis, so i can make money with
> it. And if you dislike that i call you a yealot and bitch and complain
> that it is unfair.

In no way did Les say he wanted to make money off GPL'd work!

> Can someone please point me to the law that says "you are forced to use
> GPL software" since apparently some people feel they are forced to use
> this unfair GPL license.

You certainly implied this "forced to use GPL software".

Bob
--
brtaylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx