Re: How to reinstall windows xp

John Summerfied wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>
>> John Summerfied wrote:
>>
>>> Howver, this topic's made me think, maybe we have it wrong.
>>>
>>> The standard MBR has code that looks for the first active partition and
>>> boots that. A while back, I had cause to examine Darwin's source and ut
>>> contains code (in Turbo Assembler) to do that.
>>>
>>> If we (the Linux community) used a compatible MBR, perhaps using the
>>> code from Darwin or FreeDOS, and installed it in /dev/hda (or whatever)
>>> if there's no existing code there, then we'd get along much better with
>>> Windows.
>>>
>>> GRUB, LILO or WhatEver would go in the /boot partition.
>>>
>>> If Michael reinstalled Windows, then he could go into wherever it is in
>>> Windows he makes some other partition active and reactivate his /boot
>>> partition, boot Linux and add a stanza for Windows.
>>>

>>> Thoughts?
>>>

>> Using Windows fdisk, you can only make a primary partition on the
>> first hard drive active. /boot does not need to be a primary
>> partition for LILO or Grub to work when the first stage in installed
>> in the MBR. For that matter, you do not need to create a /boot
>> partition with a lot of installs.
>

> If you don't have a separate /boot partition, then the /boot partition
> is the root partition.
>
> Its true that /boot does not have to be a primary partition, but it
> almost always can be.
>
> Even on my laptop that came with a recovery partition, a Windows
> primary, an extended and a windows secondary, there was the possibility
> to create one more primary partition.
>

>> Just to complicate matters, how would you handle the case where
>> Windows is on the first hard drive, and Linux is on the second
>> drive? By installing the first stage loader in the MBR, this is
>> not a problem... I guess you could go into the BIOS and change
>> the drive that you boot from to handle this, but I can see problems
>> with a new user trying to do that. Besides, not all BIOS will handle
>> doing it.
>

> With some care:-)
>
> Booting the second in the BIOS is certainly an option in many cases,
> with Grub/lilo having the option to boot the first.
>
> Some distros can resize NTFS; if we could do that and filch a miniscule
> amount for a partition on the first drive, then we're home and hosed.
>
> There may be come cases where we need to resort to the existing
> behaviour, but having problems with few systems beats having problems
> with a few:-)

I guess the way I look at it is that you are looking at a lot of
work to make the change, and what you gain is a different set of
hoops you have to jump through to fix things after you install
Windows. I am not sure of the FC process to fix things, but the
last time I had to do it on a Mandriva install, the process was:

Boot the install CD.
Hit F1 for more options.
Pick Rescue.
Pick "Restore Boot Loader" from the menu.

This way, you can still install Linux to a logical partition,
install more then one version of Linux to the same system, etc.
It gives you a lot more flexibility...

Besides, do you really want a new user playing around with fdisk?
What happens if they make the wrong partition active? They can
end up with a system they can not boot. To make matters more
interesting, I ma not sure this will work on all systems. I have
worked on systems that will boot with no active partition.

Mikkel