Re: Private Mirror/Repository

Once upon a time, Jonathan Allen <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> A client has a number of machines on their internal LAN, all running FC4.
> To keep them all up2date takes quite a lot time and bandwidth because
> even at 512M broadband speeds the stuff has to be downloaded for all
> the machines on the network.  Could I set them up with their firewall
> machine holding a mirror of the Fedora Core and Extras repositories and
> have all the network machines point to the firewall for repositories ?

Yes.  There are a couple of ways to mirror the files:

- some mirrors offer rsync access - this is the easiest

- or you can use a program like "mirror" to fetch everything via FTP

Then you change the /etc/yum.repos.d/* files to point to your internal
server: comment out the "mirrorlist" line and uncomment the "baseurl"
line and change it to point to your server instead of the Fedora master
servers.

You'll need a web server running on the inside interface of your
firewall; thttpd from Extras is a lightweight server that works just
fine for serving this (easier to configure than Apache too).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams@xxxxxxxxxx>