Filesystem oddity

Hi

I just came across this odd thing.

Basically my problem was to find all empty directories on the /tmp filesystem.  Initially I thought that all empty directories would be 8.0K when running "du -hs". With this impression I ran my script. The results I got were inconsistent with my theory. It found many directories with one file in them and these directories were also 8.0K in size.

I'd liek to ask how this is possible, is this something to do with blocks on the filesystem. And how does the command: find /tmp -type d -empty, what parameter does it use to find an empty directory?

Thanks in advance
Dan