Re: Distributing user-developed Linux software and licensing issues.

Kirk Black kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika keskiviikko, 18.
tammikuuta 2006 09:03):
> 1.  How do I protect my customers from receiving a modified
> version of the game client that is not authorized or
> recognized by my company?

You can't, if you release the client as Open Source/Free
Software.

> 2.  How do I protect the security of my MMO servers from
> malicious attacks arising from the abuse of having the full
> source code of my game client?

Proper design of the server and communication protocol. Traffic
management in your routers and firewalls.

> 3.  Aside from server security, there is the matter of account
> password security.  How can I fathom giving away the full
> source code and thus giving anyone the ability to network
> snoop and easily grab customer account/password data?

Use SSL/TLS or some other encryption scheme. This has nothing to
do with releasing the source code, you shouldn't send
security-critical data in the clear in any case. Don't trust
"security through obscurity".

>  At the same time, the above concerns are
> enough for me to consider not distributing a Linux game client
> at all, at least not in the beginning.

There's no requirement that software running under Linux must be
Open Source. You can distribute a binary-only proprietary client
for Linux just like you do for other operating systems.

--
 Markku Kolkka
 markku.kolkka@xxxxxx