Re: Fwd: A question from the Fedora Foundation

On Wednesday, January 18, 2006 5:59 AM +0530 Rahul Sundaram <sundaram@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Its not malice. It's merely a query to check interest at a personal level
and solicit opinions on a important change within the project that every
user would potentially get benefited from.

My first reaction was that it was a begging spam and I was inclined to ignore it. Then I saw the redhat.com in the From header and looked closer and saw that it's a survey.

I do think this should have gone to the list, and I think the subject line would have drawn reasonable interest.

I do get good value from Fedora, and I donate to other causes that give me value, so it's not beyond the pale that I might donate to the Foundation. I'd guess I'd initially donate something like the retail box price of Red Hat Standard when it was still sold, about $30-50.

At that level of donation I don't think 501(c)(3) is that big a deal to me, but I can see how it would be important for larger donors.

I just discovered Cedega's subscription-based service last month (haven't tried it yet) and that looks like an intriguing support mechanism. One's subscription gives one a vote in developer focus, controlling what issues will be addressed each month. One can subscribe multiple times to get more votes, which for Fedora would be a good incentive for commercial users to throw more money at it.