Re: Fwd: A question from the Fedora Foundation

Michael A. Peters wrote:

On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 19:04 -0500, William Yardley wrote:
On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 04:02:36PM -0800, Josh Coffman wrote:

Any one else get an email from this email address (sopwith@xxxxxxxxxx)
asking information regarding willingness to support a fedora 501c3 in
the usa?
Yes! I got this as well. Why he couldn't email the list directly, I
don't know, but I think this is a pretty inappropriate thing to do
(harvesting addresses from the list). My reading of the privacy policy
on Red Hat's site is that it doesn't apply to people subscribing to the
lists hosted by RH.

I don't think it was that big of a deal.
Had it been a solicitation for money, I might have objected.

It is a pretty important decision that will impact the future of fedora,
a mail to the list would have resulted in a lot of noise on the list as
everyone would have replied to the list (and replied to replies to the
list) - each response being sent to thousands of subscribers, and some
of the responses may not be suitable for public viewing.

Anyway, Fedora is about community involvement - and I'm glad they are
looking for responses from the community about this decision.

I think getting the mail directed toward those on a one to one basis instead of a public forum allowed expression that an individual would hold back when the postings are public.

To summarize:
No I don't plan on donating money. Yes, I will take money coming my way. No, tax status would not influence me to either donate or discourage me from donating to the foundation. Yes, the presence and active participation of Red Hat developers influences positively my desire to participate in the Fedora Project.

Jim

--
We are using Linux daily to UP our productivity -- so UP yours, Microsoft!