Re: old-school

Tim wrote:
Ian Malone wrote:

I recently ran NetworkManager to see if it would be any use to me (my
wireless network uses WPA and my card needs iwpriv commands for it, so
at the minute I use a hack in ifup-wireless).  It did something funny
which meant I had to point resolv.conf at my router to get DNS working
again, does anyone know what resolv.conf is 'normally' (when just
using if-up and if-down)?

Something like the following:

search your-own-domain-name
nameserver 192.168.1.2
nameserver 192.168.1.4
nameserver 192.168.1.1

Where "your-own-domain-name" is replaced by your own domain name.  The
"search" keyword could be "domain", instead.  They do similar functions,
but are mutually exclusive.

The nameserver lines list any and all DNS servers that you use.

If you don't want your interfaces going on- and off-line from changing
your resolve configuration (e.g. because you always use the same
details), then reconfigure their network configurations not to peer DNS.

(I think that's the right one to adjust.  Read the manuals to be sure.)

Sorry, forget to get round to responding for a while.
Okay, this is pretty much what I did, except I only added 192.168.1.1
(which is the router and does DNS).  The .2 and .4 IPs were in a backup
file I'd tried but didn't work so I left them out.  I was just a little
perplexed that it had worked previously and suddenly needed to be
configured by hand.

Anyway, thanks for the response.

--
imalone