Re: SPAM bot and general security question...

Jon D. Slater wrote:
If this question is off topic (or there's a better place to ask it), please
let me know.

I'm running Apache 2.0.54 under FC4 2.6.14-1.1656.

I *think* I've successfully java scripted all of my e-mail address links to
prevent SPAM bots from harvesting them.

I wonder whether spambots have implemented javascript yet? Surely, if a web browser can be written to display content, and a screen scraper written to speak it, then a spambot can get the real text.
Question 1:  How do I know?  (Is there some script or test I can run that
will look for vulnerable e-mail addresses exposed on my web site?)

I rather like the idea of email addresses like this:
enquiries+99@xxxxxxxxxxx
Replace the nines with a number that indicates to you the age of the email address. Change the number as often as you need.

Most MTAs (some use a minus) will deliver to enquiries regardless of the number, and you can then use filtering.

Depending on the application, I'd also preset the subject: a Real Estate agency getting email about "Property number 995917633" wont have any problem writing a filter to distringuish it "Three steps to the software you require."

Question 2:  If a .cgi script generates a web page on-the-fly (like many
packages do), and if that generated page includes an e-mail link to
support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, is that e-mail address also vulnerable?  Or does
it have to be in an ".html" file to be bot'ed?

If google can find it so can a spambot.

Google for "dive into mark." As I recall he has some thoughts on defeating spambots (and other interesting topics).

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait