New Thread - system speedups for client boxes

I would propose a new thread for system speedups for
client boxes...
apps to install/remove, services to start/disable. I'm
using my box as a pure client, yahoo mail, personal
applications, some development, but no server
services.

Yes! I am finally on my Fedora Core4 machine, finally!
Got PPPoe working to a router, as suggested (THANX!)
to the DSL modem. I'm afraid to reboot for fear it'll
go away. <chuckles> So, I'm looking for the most speed
I can get out of this aging PIII, both hardware and
software. My ole 486/DXII with 16 megs of memory
seemed to run faster, back when. Of course, that was
pre- KDE / Gnome /ALSA. So, any bits of info will be
highly welcome. Ric