Re: Accessing Thunderbird email in terminal

On Mon, 2006-01-16 at 14:01, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> > If email is the only thing you want to share, an IMAP server is
> > the way to go.  If the existing server where you get email
> > handles IMAP, just point accounts on both machines there. If
> > not, set up fetchmail to grab it via pop and deliver on a
> > machine that you control that runs an IMAP server.  Then
> > you can configure accounts on any number of machines to see
> > the same mailbox using your choice of programs.  These
> > programs will also move messages that have been received via
> > pop back into an IMAP inbox or folder, so you can use one
> > as an exchange point for several machines.
> >
> > On the other hand, if you really want to run arbitrary X
> > programs remotely, you can do that by installing the free
> > Cygwin package on the windows box if you have good bandwidth
> > or for better performance on slow links try freenx and the
> > nxclient from www.nomachine.com.
> >

> I can't install anything on the machines. The best I can do is a Java
> spplet running in a web browser, that will most likely be IE (Portable
> Firefox does not support Java, and very few machines have Firefox). If
> I can forward X to a Java applet in a browser, that would be great. I
> will only be on any given machine for a few hours at most, and the
> next day I will be on another completly different machine.

If everyone is in the same shape, maybe you can get Cygwin X
installed on all of them.  Or if they are XP or have the
windows terminal client installed you might run a remote
windows desktop to access your own programs.

> I read through the weirdX site, but I'm still not clear- can I run it
> in a browser? No mention of a browser in the faqs.

It's going to be a big applet download to get started even
if it works.  Webmail is probably a better approach if you
are really mobile.   If you have a spare machine at your
disposal, install SME server for an instant IMAP/webmail
server (http://www.contribs.com - the pre-release version
7 should be OK).  Or, set up a free gmail account and
forward everything there if you don't want to manage the
server.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx