Re: K3b sees 4.7GB DVD+R as 4.4 GB

On Mon, 2006-01-16 at 15:24 +1030, Tim wrote:
> Tim:
> >> And it doesn't stop there, either.  Is one MB 1024 KB, or something
> >> else?  People have different opinions about that, so it makes MB even
> >> more vague than KB.
>
> Toralf Lund:
> > Not really. People who say 1kb is 1024 bytes will also say that 1Mb is
> > 1024kb. They don't change their minds about the factors in the middle
> > of it all.
>
> Unfortunately, that only works if they're consistent (which not
> everybody is, and why we have this mess), and if you have such clues to
> fall back on.  For instance, if they only ever mention the term MB, you
> don't know what they're referring to.

The term itself gives the context. MB is a computing term representing
megabytes.  Mb represents megabits.
I agree some use those interchangeably at times, but in fact they are
distinct and should be used as such.

If everyone was consistent with everyone else this would be a perfect
world. :)   Since that is an ideal, we live in reality.