Re: Trouble migrating from IDE to SCSI drive in grub.

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 23:38:12 -0600, "Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The problem is probably BIOS mapping. When you tell the BIOS to boot
> off the SCSI drive, then the SCSI drive becomes (hd0) instead of
> (hd3). So Grub is trying to load from the wrong drive.

Agreed, there is an inconsistancy in the bios mapping and Linux's mapping, in Linux grub-install
--recheck shows /dev/sda is hd3, but I can edit the command line from the old IDE drive's grub
to boot from hd2 and it boots the scsi drive.  So from the BIOS it's hd2.

But still, I can't seem to get grub on the sda drive.  I've tried numerous things, but it
just stalls before it'd show it's loading the grub stages.  I'm at least assuming I can't get
grub installed, it might be the BIOS isn't loading the MBR from it for some reason.

Motherboard is a MSI Ksomething Platinum with AMD64, so it's a pretty new motherboard, I don't
think it would have issues booting from scsi.

Did I misunderstand you?  Any other suggestions?