Re: K3b sees 4.7GB DVD+R as 4.4 GB

On Sun, 2006-01-15 at 09:18 -0500, Gregory Pittman wrote:

> But MB, KB, GB are not SI units. I think they're more like the words
> millipede and centipede, which defy any strict mathematical meaning.

Nonsense!  M, K, G, etc., *are* SI.  They were paired up with bits and
bytes to try and express the same sort of thing (millions, thousands,
etc., of them).

Oh, I see.  You want to argue that 10kB, or ten kilo bytes, are some
other strange use of the same word with a different meaning...  It only
happens to use the same abbreviations and words, but they're not the
same thing...  Yeah, right...  So the re-use of all of them (kilo, mega,
giga, tera, etc.), in different ways, is all entirely coincidental?

Sheesh, this is desperation at the extreme trying to claim that the
computer fraternity isn't doing something stupid.

I read messages from the public lists.