Re: [OT] Re: K3b sees 4.7GB DVD+R as 4.4 GB

Hi;

On Mon, 2006-01-16 at 11:37 +0800, Edward Dekkers wrote:
> > [lots of snippage]

> > As impossible as it sounds, I would like to see a reputable and
> > inclusive standards committee review the computer or at least Linux
> > lexicon from time to and suggest alternate and or newly created terms so
> > that ordinary words can be returned to the ordinary language pool.
> >
> > By the way, I speak of plain words, because I do not want to restrict
> > the problem or the solution to the English language alone.  In fact,
> > there are a large number of languages and alphabets in the world. Even
> > though most borrowings might originally come from English, there need
> > not be a restriction on what some such standards committee might choose
> > for a new designation or definition.
> >
> > POSIX worked.
> >
> > Hmmm.  That's more like 0,04 cents.  Sorry.
> >
> > Regards Bill
> >

> This has become OT now - hence noted so in the subject line.

You are right.  It is OT.  I'll leave the subject alone after this.  It
was just a chance to express a pet peeve.

> My 0.02c (Australian - about 1 point something of your cents) is that we
> can comment on it, but it is natural progression of language and
> technology. i.e. It's the way it is.......

Well I'm Canadian so the 0.02 cents aren't that far apart.  It also
means I am used to seeing Committees who control and rule regarding the
use of French.  So, I don't see why it couldn't been done for English,
or Linux-ese.

> And we had better get used to it.
>
> The bible and William Shakespeare's works sounded like plain English at
> one stage.

I just makes it difficult sometimes.  I am not some kind of purist, so
I'll leave the issue sit.

> Now I couldn't read them untranslated to any person under 12.
>
> Regards,
> Ed.
> --

Regards Bill