Re: kernel source and nVidia drivers - Bigger Question

Now I did a search for nvidia.ko and found that /lib/modules contains the following:

  2.6.11-1.1369_FC4
  2.6.11-1.27_FC3
  2.6.13-1.1532_FC4
  2.6.14-1.1656_FC4
  2.6.9-1.681_FC3

it also showed that nvidia.ko was in 2.6.11-1.27_FC3! Now can i do a manual removal of all the older /lib/modules2.6.? that area not current with the current installed kernel

   uname -r reports

  2.6.14-1.1656_FC4

-or- is there a env variable that points to the correct libary module that needs to be changed? I have never run into this problem before.

Thanks,

Bob

Bob Hartung wrote:
I also made a logical lin between /usr/src/linux and /usr/src/kernels/2.6.14-1.1656_FC4-i686

When I run NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8178-pkg1.run it seems to start up okay,
builds the driver then gives this error:
  "unable to load kernel module nvidia.ko"

comments also include that the wrong source may be installed - I don't think so since I used yum install kernel-devel -or -

the kernel source is not installed.

Question: after using yum install kernel-devel do i have to do anything to make it useable and visible to the nvidia installer?

Thanks again,

Bob

Bob Hartung wrote:

J.K.
okay I did the 'yum install kernel-devel' and the nVidia installer still complains that I don't have the source files installed.

Bob