Re: Need help with a serial port

On Sun, 2006-01-15 at 16:05 -0500, Steven W. Orr wrote:
> My new 'puter came with no serial port. For $2.49 I bought a pci card that
> has two serial ports and a parallel port. I plugged the card in and
> rebooted. At boot kudzu ran but did not detect that anything new was
> going on. When I try to hook up my palm to the serial port I get this
> message:

> Also, here's the output of lspci:
> 05:08.0 Communication controller: NetMos Technology PCI 9835 Multi-I/O Controller (rev 01)

Hi Steven,

The above device is, in all likelihood, your PCI serial card and a quick
Google search turns up:

  http://winterwolf.co.uk/pciio

which provides patches for older 2.4.x kernels.  I don't know whether
the driver you need is included in current Fedora 2.6.x kernels but at
least you now know the names to look for using Google.  I think your two
options are:

  - [difficult] get help building a kernel or a kernel module
      that has the driver you need

  - [probably much easier] buy a serial card that has Linux
      support (a Google search for "+linux PCI RS-232 card"
      returns many suppliers who, if you read their card
      descriptions, provide Linux-compatible cards)

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307