Re: Accessing Thunderbird email in terminal

On 1/15/06, Neil Cherry <ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > How can I read my Thunderbird mail in the terminal? I am starting to
> > access my home machine via SSH at the university and this would be
> > very useful.
> >
> > I have been familiarizing myself with mutt, but do not know how to get
> > it to use Thunderbirds files. They are in mbox format in my
> > thunderbird profile. I want both programs to be able to access them.
> >
> > Also, would it be neccassary/recommended to shut down thunderbird
> > before reading the mail with mutt? If so, how could I do this? Tbird
> > is started in KDE, so it does not show up in jobs in a terminal.
>
> Here's what I do, I copy the appropriate Thunderbird mail file
> the my $HOME directory and them use mutt -f mailbox_name. This
> is a pain but if you don't do this the original mail box gets
> messed up. I hope someone has a better solution.
>
> --
> Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx
> http://www.linuxha.com/                         Main site
> http://linuxha.blogspot.com/                    My HA Blog
> http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site

I could use this solution if I had a script update this automatically-
I would be on a remote machine and it wouldn't be too easy from there.
Can a bash script do this? I'm not about to go out and learn bash at
the moment (I am _way_ too bogged down with university work) but if I
know that it _can_ be done I might bother someone by asking a favor.

Or, can I set up a web based email program that can read the mbox? I
do have apache installed, and if I'm already accessing the machine
form the 'net, then I would most likely have a browser of some sort on
the machine- at least lynx.

I do know a little php but so far as I know (and I'm about to google
on this subject further) php cannot access mbox mail. Though I could
probably parse the mbox files if I could work out the permissions.

Any ideas on the subject are most welcomed. If anybody has a bash (or
C for that matter) script that would copy the mbox files, I'd love to
see it (or parts of it- I'm not asking anybody to do my homework for
me).

Thank, all.

Dotan Cohen
http://technology-sleuth.com/long_answer/how_much_memory_will_i_need_for_my_digital_camera.html