Re: OT: Laptop screen died

On Sun, 2006-01-15 at 07:18 -0800, Don Russell wrote:
> I've been running FC4 on a Toshiba Satellite 1115-S103 laptop since test
> 1, and FC3 before that. (Clean installs each time)
>
> The other day the screen (LCD in the lid) went dim, and can't be read.
> The image is so dim it looks like it's "burned" onto the screen. That's
> not the case, because when I shut the system down, the screen turns off
> and it's all "dark".
>
> I can still use the machine remotely (via ssh).
>
> Does ths sound like a hardware problem, or is it possible that there's a
> "power setting" that could cause the screen to dim?

There is a small lamp for the backlight, usually located near the hinge
side of the screen. Your description indicates this may have failed.

The part is not expensive and relatively easy to replace.  You usually
only need to open the lid cover by taking off the frame around the panel
to access it.

Check what they will charge to do the repair, then check what the part
costs for you to do it.  Decide if the repair is reasonable or not based
on the value of the laptop.