Re:OT: Laptop screen died

fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I've been running FC4 on a Toshiba Satellite 1115-S103 laptop since test 1, and FC3 before that. (Clean installs each time)

The other day the screen (LCD in the lid) went dim, and can't be read. The image is so dim it looks like it's "burned" onto the screen. That's not the case, because when I shut the system down, the screen turns off and it's all "dark".

I can still use the machine remotely (via ssh).

Does ths sound like a hardware problem, or is it possible that there's a "power setting" that could cause the screen to dim?

I've tried restarting the machine, but the screen is the same dead/dim continuously...

I was thinking of taking it in for repair.... but I'm also thinking it will likely cost more than it's worth to fix...It's a few years old, out of warranty.

Anybody have any comments or suggestions?

Thanks,
Don

Got a scare once on a fairly new laptop that exhibited the same behavior. Turned out the lid switch was just stuck in the "down" (dimmed) position. Check to make sure the lid switch is working as its supposed to and not just stuck. On my HP Pavilion, its a little soft plastic probe that sticks up near the hinge for the lid.

Cheers,
Dave