Re: vi with unicode character

At 6:12 PM -0500 1/14/06, William Case wrote:
>Hi Tony;
>
>Sounds like you are taking the same trip I did.
>
>On Sat, 2006-01-14 at 16:09 -0500, Tony Nelson wrote:
>> At 1:51 PM -0500 1/14/06, William Case wrote:
>> >Hi; Just checking through my old email and came across this question.
>> >
>> >It is something I have wanted to know for a long time.

>> >Believe it or not, I have looked for this answer on and off over several
>> >months and have not been able to find it.
>> >
>> >Well, what is the way of entering a character by unicode number?
>>
>> I googled on "vi unicode numeric" and didn't like the results, so I googled
>> on "vim unicode numeric" and found a Wikipedia entry as the first result.
>> It suggests using CTRL-V in vim, and ":help i_CTRL-V_digit" to find out
>> how.  <CTRL-v>uffff in INSERT mode inserts a character with the unicode
>> value 0xFFFF.
>>
>> Note that I don't use vim.  I don't know how to do this in vi.
>
>I don't use vi or vim either.  Mostly I use emacs, gedit or OO.org.  But
>you would think there would be an universal accelerator key for an
>universal code -- eh?

The "universal" way in X (or just FC?) is to set up a Compose key (Keyboard
Preferences -> Layout Options; I set "Menu is Compose"), and then you can
type accented characters by typing a suitable punctuation mark with the
compose key down and then the unaccented character.  This often takes me
several tries, and it only does your basic western accented characters.  I
don't know of a "universal" way to type unicode in hex.

There's also the Character Map accessory, which allows for searching by hex
or other aspects of the character.

(And a big "Hi!" to MAILER-DAEMON@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and also to jrhw who
won't get this message.)