Re: Clamav stops in /var/log

if you are paranoid, its always good to check all directories...

normally though /var/log has the right permissions set, so only a root user might put something there...

to keep clamav scans at a reasonable rate, i would only set it to check the usual suspects:

/tmp
/var/www
/mnt
/home
/usr/local

if someone has root on your machine, clamav wont help you anyways, thats where only a reinstall helps.

just my few thoughts about it...

Greetings
Oliver Leitner
http://www.neverslair-blog.net

On 1/14/06, George Hare <hare.george@xxxxxxxxx > wrote:
GH> Would anyone know why Clamav ran through almost my entire file
GH> system (FC4 64) for over an hour, just to freeze in the middle of
GH> /var/log?

ls -l /var/log

- J<> Is /var/log/lastlog huge?  It's a sparse file so it doesn't take up
- J<> any disk space, but running through it byte by byte isn't going to be
- J<> quick.

- J<

ls -l /var/log/lastlog produces - 1 root root 1254130450140.
Can I skip the scan of /var/log or are there security issues involved here?

Many thanks,

GH