More 2.6.15 Kernel Stuff!

I'm trying to hand build a 2.6.15 kernel and install on a Dell PE1600
with the LSI Logic SCSI Controller in it.  I know historically this
controller used the mtpbase + mptscsih drivers.  On boot I was blowing
up with sd_mod: unknown symbols and mptscsih: unknown symbols.

A quick Google search turned up that the mpt* drivers have been split up
in the 2.6.13+ releases and I should now be using the mptspi driver
instead of mptscsih.  I modified /etc/modprobe.conf, rebuilt and
reinstalled the kernel and I'm still having the same problem as above
only now the errors are coming from sd_mod and mptspi.

I'm using gcc-3.4.2 on a Dell PE1600 with 512MB of RAM and a 36GB drive
on the LSI Logic SCSI Controller.  What am I missing here, what do I
need to do?  This is a vanilla downloaded kernel ...

HELP!!!

-brian

Brian D. McGrew { brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx || brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx }
--