Re: Fedora Core 4 CPU usage high with VLC

Muralidhar Ganga <murali@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Surprisingly, when I installed Redhat Enterprise Linux 4 on the
same hardware, the CPU usage is only 3 %.
Back when, OSS was a nice simple sound system, it used little resources.

Today (open a terminal window and enter the command "top") I'm seeing artsd eating up as much as 85% of the cpu, which I have to assume is one whopping misconfiguration problem, on my end, after updating arts. So, it's off to documentation land, as 'rpm -e arts' says half the KDE/Gnome system depends on the b*stard. I really miss Hannu at times like this. His stuff worked out of the box.

Needless to say, I can't even play 'Hunt The Wumpus' without a core meltdown, and I dearly love my games. ;)   Ric

Yahoo! Photos