Re: unable to see ntfs partition

Phil Savoie wrote:
Hi All,

I have a dual boot WXP/FC4 home system. I have recompiled the kernel to allow for mounting of NTFS (read only). Because I still require XP for work, I would like to have access to that partition while in FC as a normal user. I have noticed that the directory modes change as follows:

If device is unmounted the modes are this:

[root@hp ~]# ls -ld /dos
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 Jan 13 03:38 /dos
[root@hp ~]#

If I mount my ntfs device, I get this:

[root@hp ~]# mount /dos
[root@hp ~]# ls -ld /dos
dr-x------  1 root root 20480 Jan 12 04:54 /dos
[root@hp ~]#

The relevant entry in the /etc/fstab:

/dev/hda2      /dos    ntfs    defaults      0 0
[root@hp ~]#

Why do the modes change? Is there a way for a normal user to have access? If so how?

http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/info/ntfs.html#4.9

Paul.