Re: MAC --> IP address?

On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 13:55, Ian Pilcher wrote:
> I use rdesktop to connect to my Windows laptop when I'm at home, and I'm
> getting tired of guessing what it's IP address du jour (assigned by my
> gateway box) is.  Is there a way to scan my local network for a
> particular MAC address and figure out what its IP address is?

Many gateway boxes, assume you mean either a router or a linux box
acting as a gateway/DHCP server, will allow you to specify a specific IP
address to assign to specified MAC addresses.  Set it to give your
laptop the same IP address anytime it requests via DHCP an IP address
and you know what it will be.

You can then populate your /etc/hosts file with the name and IP if you
want.