Reality check on bash behavior.

I need to check that my observations on bash invocation is correct.
In the bash man page it states that when the bash shell in invoked the
following three files are sourced: /etc/profile, ~/.bash_profile and
~/.profile. My observation is that when .bash_profile is present
.profile is not sourced.

This is in important to us because we have the same user directories
mounted on FC4 machines and OS X machines, On OS X machines it looks
like .profile is sourced even when a .bash_profile exists.

I just want to check that my sanity is still in place and I am seeing
what is really happening. I realize behavior on an OS X machine is off
topic on a fedora list.

Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University