RE: old-school

> out of the box until version number  '.2' . Owell... I'm
> BAAACK on the windoz machine, purchasing a router  and
> returning the hub as suggested.
> >   I can get the dynamic IP address from earthlink DSL, but
> getting DNS is  being a b*tch. I've even entered their
> nameserver static IP's into  resolv.conf, where all the
> notices beg you not to edit by hand, well I  did it!, and
> still zip. No resolving. <sigh>

A couple of things.

If you connected a hub to your DSL modem rather than a
DSL router, you would need to get a separate IP address
for each machine from you ISP (In this case Earthlink).
You have not said so in so many words, but it appears you
have both the windows machine and the Linux box attached
to the hub.  Make sure you have different IP addresses for
both boxes.

The DSL router will add an additional layer of security as
it will have the ISP assigned IP address and you will have
internal non-routable IP addresses for the machines.

You did not say whether you tried this (at least in the emails I saw),
but.
ping 127.0.0.1    # can I talk to my IP stack
ifconfig -a       # get my IP addr
ping myipaddr     # Can I talk to myself
ping the windows box
ping the default gateway.
ping the DNS IP addresses you have.

That should provide some clues.
You might want to hang onto the hub, Most DSL routers only
handle 4 or 8 ports.  When you get more computers than that,
the hub will come in handy.

Bob Styma