Re: NVIDIA driver and DPMS: backlight never switches off

On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 18:38 -0500, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-11-01 at 20:45 +0000, D. D. Brierton wrote:
> > Yes, perhaps. How did you configure DPMS? What I have is this in my
> > xorg.conf:
> >
> > In the "Monitor" section:
> >
> >         Option "DPMS" "true"
>
> Yep, that's what I have:
>
> Option "dpms" "true"
>
> > and in the "Device" section:
> >
> >         Option "DPMS"
> >
> > (This last bit is apparently required by the NVIDIA driver.)
>
> Really?  I don't use it in the Device section and haven't had a problem.
> Is this documented in the README.txt for the driver from NVIDIA?

Ah, it seems it isn't necessary. I commented out 'Option "DPMS"' from
the "Device" section, and

        $ xset -q

and

        $ grep -i dpms /var/log/Xorg.0.log

return the same values as they did before. However, DPMS still doesn't
work!

For what it's worth I remember having to add that option with older
versions of the NVIDIA driver and a quick search on google shows that
advice repeated. It doesn't seem to be necessary any longer.

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren@xxxxxxxxxxx          www.dzr-web.com