Re: Suspend to RAM (FC4)

On 1/11/06, oleksandr korneta <mai11ist@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm trying to convince my installation of fc4 to work properly on Compaq
> Presario v2040us, which is x86_64 based laptop. Currently I stuck at
> "suspend to RAM" issue. From all I found googling, it seems that the
> main problem to overcome is the restoring the backlit of the screen, and
> it can be fixed by passing the parameter acpi_sleep=s3_bios (or
> acpi_sleep=s3_mode) to kernel at boot. After that, there goes the
> unloading/reloading of kernel modules etc...
>
> That kernel parameter helped me to restore the monitor backlit. But not

Download the kernel source (either from Fedora or kernel.org).
Look in the  'Documentation/power/' directory for some ideas.
The above parameters are mentioned there.
(does anyone know of a link to that documentation??)

> The computer shows no reaction on mouse or keyboard. Only immediate
> poweroff works (holding power button for 5 sec)

Are you doing the tests with or with the X-server running?
If you haven't already tried, test in init-3 without X.
Additionally, sometimes video card drivers can cause problems (I've
had this in the past with NV binary drivers).

> I tried to sent the system to sleep mode both manually and by using
> special script with all this fancy kernel modules reloading and stuff,
> but the result is the same...

Did you look at your logs when you reboot to see if something could
not wake properly or where the fault is? Are you sure it fails when
going to sleep or when waking up?
/var/log/messages ?

> If anyone here got suspend to RAM working and wants to share the
> experience, any help would be appreciated.

I have it working for me (desktop). Just some random ideas I've played
around with getting ACPI S3 to work on various laptops/desktops:

- disabling framebuffer consoles sometimes helped
- I've had better success with 2.6.9-12 kernels, 13-15 have been buggy with S3
- using USB cardreaders or hubs seems to give me problems --- try
without any extra accessories plugged in

In the end, I had to try multiple different kernels (often
recompiling) till I got it right. In one case FC4 2.6.11 worked out of
the box, however FC4 2.6.14 blows up. ... Also sometimes, those
"special scripts" with fancy load/unload may be the only way to get
things to work. Many BIOS's ACPI comply to windows NOT linux and you
may need to go through some tricks to get it work. Just keep at it.

Hope this helps.

Mauriat

ps. The newer versions of SUSE come with a *very very* nice
configuration (scripts+tools built in) to go to S3 (S4, etc). I have
this working perfectly on an x86_64 desktop. Not sure when things like
this will make it into Fedora.