Re: potential update list

Michael D. Berger wrote:

I would like to get a list of the packages that:

1. are installeded my system
AND
2. would be updated if I were to run yum update.

Is there a way to do this?

Check the contents of the file /var/log/rpmpkgs, though this seems to be updated when you boot, so if you have updated since you booted, it won't list the newest versions of what was just updated. The nice thing is that it's in alphabetical order.

If you want to find out what was updated when, check /var/log/yum.log and its antecedents (yum.log.1, and so on), but you will have to be root to view this.

When you have some time, fish around in /var/log, there's lots of interesting stuff there.

Greg