Re: Accidentally clobbered zlib RPM, not rpm won't work

STYMA, ROBERT E (ROBERT) wrote:

Well, I was trying to back out some of the packages that got accidentally
sucked down by yum from ATrpms.  In the process of "cleaning up",
the RPM for zlib got nuked.

No various things including rpm and wget won't work.

I thought that yum would have left the previous rpm versions in place,
but it doesn't seem to have.  Oops.

What's the work-around?

Thanks,
Write down the name of the missing libraries as reported by RPM
and WGET.  Boot rescue mode from the installation CD.  You should
be able to find the missing libraries and copy them accross manually.
Boot normally, then re-get the package and install the missing packages
via RPM.

Bob Styma

Actually, I installed zlib manually, but then went and broke something else.
In this case, I tried to remove sqlite with yum--which it did gleefully--not
realizing that it also would remove yum, up2date, and rpm!

I'm trying to get yum to backout the upgrades to the ATrpms versions of files
and get me downgraded back to where I was, which was using the current
versions of the FC3 files.

Ok, so how do I use rescue mode to reinstall yum, rpm, up2date, etc?

BTW:  I hope my previous posting didn't convey the impression that I think
the work done by Axel is anything but great work. I was just a little frustrated at how yum didn't have any self-preservation checks built in, like refusing to
remove its own dependencies, etc.

Thanks,

-Philip