Re: Switching from GRUB to NTLDR

On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 14:11 +0000, Vicki Walsh wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Hoping someone can help, I'm a bit of a Linux (well anything computer
> related) newbie.
>
> Currently I have a computer set up with Win2000 Pro first then Fedora
> second. I am using GRUB as the bootloader.
>
> I'd like to do the following:
>
> Reinstall GRUB to the Linux partition boot sector
>
> Somehow rewrite NTLDR to the MBR
>
> dd Grub bootsector into grub.bin file and move to Win2000
>
> modify the boot.ini file to boot the Linux partition.
>
> I'd like to do all this (essentially switching out GRUB for NTLDR)
> while preserving all data/partitions. Am I dreaming of a
> perfect world, or might this be possible? (btw - I dont mean to
> suggest that using NTLDR as the bootloader is perfect). What would the
> 'some! how write NTLDR to MBR' be if this is possible?
>
> Thanks so much for your help
>
> VWISH

Let me see if I got what you want.
You want the NTLDR to load first, and then the grub, right?
Here goes.

1. Boot from Linux CD, save the MBR:
	dd if=/dev/[sh]da of=/linuxboot.dat bs=512 count=1
2. Reboot using a Windows 9x / DOS floppy/CD. Then:
	fdisk /mbr
	From fdisk, make sure you mark the Windows partition as active.
3. Reboot to Windows, copy the MBR copy (from step 1) to C:
4. Edit the boot.ini file, append this line to the end of the file:
	c:\linuxboot.dat="Fedora Core Linux"
5. Reboot.

One last note.
Make sure you have a fully working backup before you start; while this
should work as described, playing around with a live machine's boot
setup without a back is generally considered a very bad idea...

Gilboa