Re: Would Firefox 1.5 present in update release repos. of Fedora Core 4 ?

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006, Adam Gibson wrote:

Steven Stern wrote:
Wong Kwok-hon wrote:
On 1/9/06, Peter Gordon <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 05:06 +0800, Wong Kwok-hon wrote:

As Firefox 1.5 release for a while, would it present in update release
to update the current 1.0.x ?

As mentioned in various places on the forums [1][2] and mailing list
[3], Firefox 1.5 is in the Rawhide (development) tree, which you have
the option of enabling if you want to help test, debug, and develop
Fedora Core further[4]. (Please note that you should probably not do
this on a production box, as it can potentially be *very* unstable,
though there are those who use it as their primary system.)

[1] http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=88274
[2] http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=90232
[3] http://redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2005-December/msg00638.html
[4] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/TestingGuide
--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42)
GnuPG Public Key: 0xDA3634D7

So How long would it take in test ?

Wong Kwok Hon

I'll second Greg's suggestion. I unpacked the tarball from mozilla.org/firefox into /usr/local and used DESKTOP -> PREFERENCES -> MORE PREFERENCES -> PREFERRED APPLICATIONS to change the default browser from "firefox" to "/usr/local/firefox/firefox %s". That's all it took.

I'll third it except I install to my home directory and add the manually installed firefox directory to the front of my $PATH in ~/.bashrc. Adding to the path allows me to easily run the newer firefox from the commandline.

It was part of a yum update for me on FC4.

Nancy
nancym@xxxxxxxxx  ..... (future) http://www.charm.net/~nancym/
The Kitties Page  ...........  http://members.aol.com/Mysnats/
My Sister's Karaoke Site ............  http://karaokeklub.com/