Re: up2date vs. yum

Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 22:21:22 -0500

From: Jim Cornette <fc-cornette@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Subject: Re: up2date vs. yum

Michael D. Berger wrote:

>Which to use? The fedora web page recommends yum, and it sounds yummy, but up2date blinks attractively.

>What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

>Thanks for your advice.

>Mike.

>--

>Michael D. Berger

>m.d.berger@xxxxxxxx

Yum is easy to control at the command line. Up2date is barely maintained

any longer. If you like the GUI type interface, pup in rawhide works

fairly well. Pup is pretty much the replacement for up2date. Pup works

with yum.

There are also a few GUI front-ends for yum. GNOME and KDE versions. The

front-ends work decent for the two that I tried before. Yum is my main

tool for updating. Pup for when I do not want or cannot update certain

packages that have conflicts. Yum plain sux when there are package

conflicts. Jim

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If Should Up2date is barely maintained, should I uninstall Up2date?

Best regards, Joao.