Re: bash problem!

Steven,
I had a similar problem once. It was because the script was actually looking for #!/bin/sh and wanted the "real" sh, not bash.
Wilbur

Steven W. Orr wrote:
On Monday, Jan 9th 2006 at 15:51 -0600, quoth John Pierce:

=>Hello, I have just finished a new install fedora 4 and have created a
=>simple shell script to run as a cron job.
=>
=>If I try to execute the script from the command line I get the following error.
=>
=>"bash: ./dailybup: /bin/bash: bad interpreter: Permission denied"
=>
=>This script is located on an nfs share and if I move to any of the
=>other 5 fedora 4 machines on the network the script executes without
=>error.
=>
=>This is the content of the script
=>
=><<
=>#!/bin/bash
=>#
=>#
=>mkdir -p /data/diffs/`date +%F`
=>>>

525 > vi foo.sh
526 > unix2dos foo.sh
unix2dos: converting file foo.sh to DOS format ...
527 > chmod +x foo.sh
528 > ./foo.sh
: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
529 > chmod -x foo.sh
530 > ./foo.sh
bash: ./foo.sh: Permission denied
531 > To fix the problem run dos2unix. You probably created the script in Winbloze.

=>
=>I took out the mondoarchive step and the system still gives me the
=>above mentioned error.
=>
=>This is the ll listing of /bin/bash on the problematic machine
=>
=>"-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 680824 May 10  2005 /bin/bash"
=>
=>and this is the ll listing of /bin/bash on one of the non problematic machines
=>
=>"-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 686520 May 10  2005 /bin/bash"
=>
=>rpm -qa | grep bash yields the following on the problematic machine
=>
=>"bash-3.0-31"
=>
=>the same command on one of the non problematic machines yields the following
=>
=>"bash-3.0-31"
=>
=>All six of the machines have been built using the same set of cd's and
=>options for installation.
=>
=>Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
=>
=>Note:  I also checked the keyboard map and all is the same.
=>
=>John
=>-
=>Registered Linux User 263680, get counted at
=>http://counter.li.org
=>
=>-- =>fedora-list mailing list
=>fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx