Re: JDK confusion - Final Questions

So, my take as a newbie is: (easy way)
  1.  Use the tarball and install in /opt
  2.  set up my own $JAVA_HOME in /etc/profile
  3.  add /opt/jdk1.5.0_06/jre/bin to $PATH

optional:
  1.  Download the sun jdk and try to make my own rpm.  I say this as I do not
see any evidence of a jdk1.5+ on the list on the left side of jpackage.org
except for those in the "non-free" section.  All-in-all, I think the tarball
route is easier and cleaner for a newbie unless there is really something big
this is slipping right by me.

Thanks to all for the help, guidance.  I was reminded that I need to keep going
back to the release notes - something that I too often forget about.

Thanks again,

Bob