Re: unbelievably stupid mistake - i broke /usr/lib need help

On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 12:10, Robin Laing wrote:
> >>The first thing I usually do is make an aliases for rm, cp and mv to
> >>ask for confirmation.
> >>
> >>alias rm='rm -i'
> >>alias cp='cp -i --backup=t'
> >>alias mv='mv -i --backup=t'
> >

> > I think this is bad practice. When you have this setup, you can get in
> > the habit of rm etc. asking about deletions, which can lead to the habit
> > of not listing carefully on the command line the list of items to be
> > deleted. This can then be a problem if you're using a system on which
> > this alias isn't present, or if an error has been made further up the
> > ~/.bashrc (or wherever) causing the alias not to be set - the
> > confirmation prompts don't happen and by the time you've realised what's
> > happened it can be too late.
> >
> > Paul.
> >

> I partially agree.  But sometimes the tools are useful for what I do.
>   I do allot of file moves with CLI and these work out best for me.

I think it is generally annoying to have commands that act
differently when you run as root.

> Hey, I think I will write myself a root rm script that actually takes
> the file and moves it to a trash directory instead of removing it.
> This may be the best option.  Now to find the time.  :)

Before worrying about this specific and unlikely problem, make
sure you have working backups that will let you recover from
any number of more common disasters.  Then you only need to
address this as a special case if you want extra versions
around newer than your backup frequency.  And if I haven't
mentioned it lately, I like http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/
running on some other machine on the network.  It would be
nice if it came packaged with the distribution.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx