Re: JDK confusion

Thanks guys,
  First, I downloaded the sun rpm, and it installed in /usr/java/jdk....

  I had downloaded all the packages from jpackage and built the rpms but I do
not want to deal with that every time ( I am a physician not a programmer and
am very new to Java.)

  The one question I do not yet have the answer to is what does xxxx.compat
stand for when I see a package with this name listed on jpackage.org?

  I will probably go the route of the tar.gz and place them in /usr
or /usr/local with appropriate sym links.

Thanks again,

Bob