Re: disk failure with swap RAID-0

On 1/8/06, Doncho N. Gunchev <gunchev@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The machine will boot fine, just will not have swap at all. Why not use two
> swap partitions instead of one RAID-0? This way at least one of them will
> work (if one disk is gone).

Personally, I agree with avoiding  RAID 0 for any reason (my personal
preference).  However, I can understand a desire to use it for swap in
order to force the kernel to use both spindles when swapping,
increasing the performance of swap.  I don't know if the vm system in
Linux has improved to the point where it will balance multiple swap
partitions or not, but it used to be that the kernel would use the
first swap partition exclusively until it was full before taking
advantage of the second and subsequent partitions.

--
Chris

"I trust the Democrats to take away my money, which I can afford.  I
trust the Republicans to take away my freedom, which I cannot."